I’ve been getting great feedback from everyone about Robert’s seminar last night. I’m going to try to remember everything now, ordinarily I like to take notes during a seminar but I forgot to last night. Maybe someone can fill in some of the blanks in my memory? If you add a comment, I’ll edit the post.
- Head and arm control when your opponent is in quarter
- One foot always up, weight down, move to the back by blocking the nearside tricep with forearm
- From front headlock, work arm across face
- drop elbow to the mat, catch bicep and roll for anaconda
- Same position, brabo while falling to the side
- if opponent doesn’t tap, continue roll and move to top to finish from there
- T-Rex choke
- Opponent goes to sit into guard- superawesome jump to the back and RNC (loved that)
- Missed this one but something like a half guard pass? Anyone fill in that blank for me?
- If he tries to sit, block his knee and jump to the back or side control
- Shoulder push when attacking the back (I thought that was gold dust)
That’s all I can remember from the front headlock.
- Attacking from quarter, trap leg and kneebar
- Push down kneebar finish (again, fucking gold dust)
- Attacking from nogi mount, good arm isloation technique
- keylock, really simple finish but with tw great tips- one is to slide your elbow up your leg, second to reach under the wrist if you’re having problems getting the second grip
- Really great single arm keylock/wristlock (Tom and Stephen were delighted the dirty wristlocking gits)
- High percentage takedown
- Drills for same
Overall a really great evening and he’s here again tonight, this time with the beautiful game. (aka BJJ in the kimono!) I really, really enjoyed the seminar and he has a great style of teaching the little details as well as the broad strokes. He’s also got a lot of time for everyone especially the more beginner level guys who got lots of attention last night. What I didn’t enjoy about the seminar was having a stomach bug. Stephen was my partner and he had to put up with some terrible smells from me early on, and then once 8pm came around I was off to the toilets every 10 minutes which was embarassing to say the least. I spent all last night calling my mate Hughy on the big white phone in my bathroom. So there’s a mighty blow to my two great aims this week- to add a kilo in weight, and to roll with Robert Drysdale. I’m currently typing this from bed after attempting to eat some dry toast and have a cup of tea, with any luck, a significantly weaker and skinnier me will be at the seminar tonight, so maybe I can fulfill the second of those two.